Monday, March 2, 2009

I Feel Sorry For Those Who Haven't Followed The Prophets

We are in the last days, no doubt about it. Morality and virtue are not only eroding, but they are under attack. The economy is collapsing, and jobs are being lost everywhere.

The prophets of God have warned us for many years to get our homes in order - to obtain a year's supply, get out of unnecessary debt, and to be diligent in teaching the gospel to our families. Well now seems to be a good time to take inventory.

Do we have our year's supply? If not, why not? Did we think we couldn't afford it? That would be an excuse similar to saying we couldn't afford to pay our tithing. Do we pay for cell phones? Do we pay for cable TV and high-speed internet? If so, why aren't we willing to use that money - or at least some of that money - to follow the counsel of the prophets? Do we love the world more than the Lord? Do we put more credibility in the news media than in the counsel of the prophet? Do we love our conveniences more than the security of the Lord's promises?

I use the term 'we' so I don't point fingers too harshly. Please know that although I am not perfect, I have avoided as much debt as possible. Other than my mortgage and my student loans for law school - both of which are 'approved' by church standards - I only have a very small car payment of $256 and a small personal loan payment of $35. Compared to the hundreds of dollars per month that I see other people paying out to cover their luxuries, I'm OK. I have my years supply, and then a lot more besides food. I have saved a lot of camping gear, hunting and fishing supplies, portable tools, etc. I even have built windmill turbines for generating electricity in case we need to produce our own power. I also have solar panels on my roof which generate additional electricity. Althouth one may never feel totally prepared - especially since we don't always know exactly what to prepare for - I feel like I have done a pretty good job of it. I have been out of work for a while because of the economy, but I do not fear because I am prepared. Remember the Lord said "If ye are prepared ye shall not fear". (D&C 38:30)

It is to the point for many that it is too late to be fully prepared, unless they are willing to take drastic measures in order to catch up. It al depends on how important the Lord and His prophets are in relation to the conveniences and cares of the world. It's time to take a spiritual inventory.

No comments: